Hospitals begin cutting services
The dire financial situation at Washington hospitals has required many hospitals across the state to begin cutting services. The following closures have already taken place:
- St. Michael Medical Center in Bremerton closed its emergency department in 2022.
- MultiCare Covington closed its birth center in September, 2022.
- Central Washington Hospital closed its progressive care unit in November 2022.
- Astria Sunnyside Hospital stopped performing heart procedures and interventional cardiology in December 2022
- Harborview Medical Center went on divert on January 5-7, 2023 due to high patient volumes.
- Astria Toppenish Hospital permanently closed its labor and delivery unit in January 2023.
Skilled Nursing Facilities across the state have also closed at least 2,000 beds since the start of the pandemic.